Sunday, October 14, 2012

Meeting #4

Our 4th meeting was a continuation of the our 3rd meeting where my cookie mom started the Cadette Budgeting badge. I work for a large bank and pulled some material from there on earning money, savings accounts and how they work. I was very surprised at how little these 12 year olds know about money and banking. Maybe I expected to much as one of the moms commented that she didn't learn this until high school. I tried talking to them about ways to earn money and how to save it. I had sample savings deposit slips and withdrawal slips. This was very difficult for them, even with the basic instructions on the slips. Hopefully when they see it again they will have learned something.

I am having a really hard time with the troop this year. I had one quit last week. My daughter is ready to quit. There is way to much drama at our meetings. I could go on and on. When I talked to the mom of the girl that quit, the reason she quit is that it is no longer fun and seems like it is work work work. I had to agree it has not been fun for me either. They are in school all day learning and studying. I don't want them to come to a meeting to sit there and listen to a lecture again.  I have to blame some of that on the journeys and the new badges. I am not a fan of the journeys. My goal for the future is to give them opportunities to experience things they would otherwise not be able to. This will include some "studying and listening" but more hands on experiences. They also requested more crafts and cooking. We may just have to go the old fashioned way of GS. Do things like home keeping, sewing, hospitality, outdoors events, etc.
 
I hope we don't lose anymore but they are at the age that GS is not so cool. I have to find a way to make it cool and make them proud to be a GS in today's society.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments!!